Goa has well over 25 amazing beaches ranging from the full-of-life party destinations to the serene and peaceful ones. As a general assumption, the beaches of North Goa are considered to be more happening and lively than those of South Goa which are quieter and more secluded. Located at the Northern tip of Goa, Terekhol Fort was originally constructed in the 17 th century by Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle of Sawantwadi. The name of the fort is often wrongly spelt as Tirakhol or Tirakol. It sits on the bank of Terekhol River and was rebuilt when it was captured in 1764 by Portuguese Viceroy Dom Pedro Miguel de Almeida. Terekhol Fort was incorporated in Goa legally in the year 1788. It was used by Dr Bernando Peres da Silva, the first Goa-born Viceroy, as a base for the rebellion against the Portuguese. The rebellion was a failure and Bernando had to leave Goa. In 1954, two Goans made an attempt to hoist the Indian flag to show that they are against the Portugese colonialists. The two men were shot fatally.
Located at the foothills of Kavlem village in Ponda district of Goa, the Shree Shantadurga temple is one of the popular pilgrimage centers. The temple is dedicated to Shree Shantadurga, the goddess of peace. Durga, who is often portrayed exuding fury and aggression, appears in a gentler form in Goa. Shanta, in Sanskrit, means peace.